Golden Barrel Cactus is easy to start from seed, long-lived but slow growing. Patience and love are required. If well cared for, it will be your companion for many years to come!
Here are some general tips and instructions for starting them from seed.
1) Chose suitable environment. Cactus requires constant air temperatures of around 75 ℉ to sprout. Pick a spot with warm temperature, good air circulation and bright, indirect sunlight.
2) Moisten potting mix. Moist, not wet and soupy.
3) Place seeds on top of surface of potting mix. Leave a little space between seeds. (Tip: save some of the seeds in the seed packet to use again if your first try fails). Cactus seeds need light to germinate. Cover the seeds with just dusting of potting. Seeds should still be partially visible.
4) Water, keeping potting mix lightly moist. Check moisture daily. Tip: sometime placing plastic wrap lightly over the pot will help retain moisture. Seeds will begin to swell as they absorbed water.
5) It can take between 14 and 45 days for seeds to sprout depending on conditions. Once seeds begin to sprout, remove plastic wrap if in place, place in well-ventilated spot with a moderate amount of direct sunlight (4-6 hours per day). It is important to continue to keep cactus in warm spot to avoid damping off, which causes pathogens to grow and kill off seedlings. Damping off happens in wet, cold conditions
6) Continue to monitor moisture daily. Water as needed. Be patient. You’re in it for the long haul!
Plant growth and results vary depending on care, pruning and environment such as water, temperature, time of year and climate. Please monitor water, temperature and light with care.
Growth requires sunlight or a grow light. Other light sources will not work.
While Noted's products are designed and assembled for growing success, not all seeds provided will germinate. This is part of nature! So when planting your seeds, you may wish to save some of the seeds to try again if germination fails.
Check online for more information on growing and caring for your Golden Barrel Cactus.